Monday, April 16, 2018

Fun Facts about Napoleon



For anyone that has read my books, it should come as no surprise that my characters were not fans of the French. This was mostly due to the Napoleonic Wars.

Napoleon was the French Emperor from 1804 until 1814, and again briefly during 1815. He was known to be domineering to the world but had a tender spot for his wives and mistresses. 

I have collected six lesser known facts about Napoleon that I thought you might enjoy. Two funny facts about the French Emperor are thrown into To Love a Spy, but you will have to read my book to discover those.  

Fun Facts:

1. Napoléon's Army discovered the Rosetta Stone.

2. He would often dress in poor clothes and walk the streets of Paris asking people questions. This way he could judge how popular he was.

3. It was Napoléon's army that first used canned foods

4. Napoléon allegedly wore a packet of poison on a cord around his neck. When he finally went to use it in 1814 it had lost its potency and only succeeded in making him violently ill

5. Attempts to rescue Napoléon from St. Helena included an elaborate submarine plan.

6. Beethoven originally planned to dedicate his Third Symphony to Napoléon. 


1 comment:

  1. These are great. I love that you snuck a few in To Love a Spy. Those were great.

    ReplyDelete

Reader's Favorite

It's official. I am an award-winning author (and I have the picture to prove it)